Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Random thoughts

I am taking a short break away from the hospital to clean up a bit. Dave is with Leighton now and she seems to be doing better today. We were able to cut her oxygen level down by another 1/2 this morning. The next step is to get her off of oxygen completely. We are hoping we can do this later today and be able to go home tomorrow.

Since I'm home and trying to get my mind on other things, I wanted to post on a couple of totally unrelated topics. First, have you ever heard of www.goodsearch.com? I hadn't until recently. It is a search engine just like Google that contributes money to charity for every search you do. I am going to start using it instead of Google. You can either pick the charity to which you want your search money to go or you can automatically allow your search money to go to the charity of the day. The other day, the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network was their charity of the day. You can pick FAAN as your charity of choice whenever you do a search.

Second, and I know this is a complete nonsequitor, but I have been thinking lately about making Peppermint Bark because I have had a craving for it. The only problem is it has been nearly impossible for me to find safe white chocolate (that does not have dairy in it and that was not processed on equipment with nuts). So I found the following recipe for vegan white chocolate on this blog and I might try it once we get out of the hospital and back to normal life:

Vegan (Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free) White Chocolate
1/4 Cup (2 Ounces) Cocoa Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/3 Cup Confectioner’s Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Soymilk Powder
Pinch Salt

Place your cocoa butter in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke it for just a minute or two, so that it liquefies. Be sure to keep an eye on it at all times, as it has a much lower melting point than a bar of finished chocolate. Once completely melted, quickly stir in the remaining ingredients, being thorough so as to break up any clumps of sugar and completely dissolve everything into the molten fat. Don’t worry if it looks rather yellow at this stage, just pour everything into your molds and it will be alright. Tap the molds on the counter lightly so as to remove any air bubbles, and don’t even think about touching them again for the next few hours while they set up.

To make peppermint bark with the white chocolate, just line a baking pan with parchment, pour some safe chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life brand) in there until they cover the bottom of the pan, melt in the oven on 250 degrees (for 15 minutes or so), then cool and pour the melted white chocolate on top. Then top with crushed candy canes and let cool until hardened.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you're thinking about other things.... I made Sandy's Peppermint cookies from last years exchange and realized, they are totally Ainsley friendly (except butter, which I know you can sub). Just an fyi, if you need a holiday cookie.
There is a Vegan in my MOMS Club and I made Wacky Cupcakes, and they came out MUCH better than the ones at Simon's birthday... not sure why, but very moist, so, sorry for serving you all dry, crumbly ones!
I'm glad to hear things are going better with Leighton, you all are in my thoughts. I hope you are able to come Sunday (to the exchange). Elena

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad to hear that she's doing better. Hope she comes home soon!

Mmmm... I'm totally going to have to try this recipe!!