Thursday, January 8, 2009

Flu shots -- check. Younger kid not allergic to eggs -- check.

We just got back from getting our flu shots. Ainsley and Leighton were both skin-prick tested to see if they were allergic to eggs & also to the flu vaccine. Ainsley, of course, had a giant hive to eggs but no hive to the vaccine. Leighton, I am very excited to report, did not have a hive to either one ... meaning she is not allergic to eggs! I am very relieved. I am cautiously optimistic that she is not allergic to dairy either (because I eat it and breastfeed her and she has no sign of a reaction to it). We will know that for sure in March, when I take her back to have her tested for a wide variety of things.

Anyway, because neither kid had a hive to the flu vaccine, they both got the shot. I did too. I went first to show them how brave I was. It backfired and Ainsley started crying as soon as the nurse started preparing to give me the shot. That made Leighton cry, of course, so I had a chorus of crying girls for a good ten minutes (it lasted well beyond the actual shots themselves).

Even before the shots, the girls had been crying, because they both hated the scratch testing (Ainsley also hated it last August when she had it done for the first time).

Needless to say, I am happy we were all able to get the vaccine, but am so ready for my Moms' Night Out tonight! Dave, if you're reading this, you know you owe me!

2 comments:

heather said...

Hi,
My son is allergic to soy, peanuts, eggs, wheat and dairy. I started a website www.spewdfree.com to help others who suffer from food allergies. SPEWD Free has allergy friendly recipes and a food allergy blog. I hope you enjoy it!
Thanks,
Heather

Leigha said...

Thanks, Heather -- I will be sure to check it out!