Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration cupcakes

Okay, so the fact that I made cupcakes Sunday night really has nothing to do with the fact that today is President Obama's inauguration, except that the occasion provides a justification for me to eat the last two that are in our refrigerator. The actual reason I made the cupcakes was to give to our friends, Ainsley's godparents, and their two daughters when they came over for dinner Sunday night. Our menu was:

--fresh berry salad (strawberries, grapes, blueberries, raspberries)
--beer bread (yes, I made it! Recipe in prior post)
--chicken & rice casserole from the Kid Pleasing cookbook (see sidebar for link to the book); I omitted the onions called for in the recipe and added about 2 cups of chopped, cooked broccoli florets
--Banana Split cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World

I saw the cupcake cookbook on another food allergy blog and ordered it ... it is fantastic! The cupcakes are so interesting and yummy-looking. Some of the recipes contain nuts or coconut, but many of them do not. I am excited to try the Cookies N Cream cupcakes and Mint Chocolate cupcakes in the near future.

As for the beer bread, it was amazingly easy. It tasted good, but I think next time I will bake it for only 50 minutes instead of an hour -- it came out a little dry.

All in all, though, I got rave reviews for the meal, which I think tasted just as good as anything that contains milk, eggs, and peanuts/tree nuts.

No comments: