Monday, October 18, 2010

New restaurant in our line-up: Chipotle

I feel so liberated every time we try a new restaurant and Ainsley finds something good to eat and has no allergic reaction. We did it again last week when we ordered food for her at Chipotle. Most of you in major urban/suburban areas have probably heard of of it - it's a chain that makes made-to-order burritos and tacos. We have a ton in the DFW area because we're all crazy about Tex-Mex here.

My husband and I have been eating at Chipotle for years but for some reason (well, fear, clearly) I had not tried to determine whether Ainsley could eat anything there (we had taken her there but had always brought food from home or from a fast-food place for her). But my babysitter is braver than I am and last time she went there, she asked about the company's food-allergy friendliness. Low-and-behold, it is very sensitive to and accommodating of food allergies. It has a chart online (and also one you can request in the store) that shows what food components contain allergens. As you can see from the chart, the only thing a kid with nut, peanut, milk, egg, and sesame allergies can't have is the cheese and sour cream. And the workers make the food right in front of you so you can watch to make sure they don't accidentally include any allergens in what they're making for you.

So we took Ainsley there the other night and ordered a kid's "Taco Kit," which is a divided plate that comes with two tacos and some sides. On the plate, we asked for the shredded beef (barbacoa), pinto beans, rice, guacamole, and lettuce. Then she sat down and got to put the tacos together herself using the different components, which she thought was really fun.

I am thrilled to say that she thought the tacos were really yummy and had no allergic reaction.

Note: The only special accommodation to request when getting food at Chipotle is for the preparer to put on a new set of plastic gloves before preparing the food tray because the old gloves could have cheese residue on them.

Happy eating - I know where we'll be chowing down at least one night a week!

4 comments:

Allergy Mum said...

The joy of finding a new restaurant that can accommodate MFA is the best. It is so exciting to be able to go out a eat like a “normal” family in restaurants like everybody else. Congratulations on finding a safe yummy new place for your family.
Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

Paul Antico said...

Sorry that I couldn't find a separate Contact Us button, but I was wondering if I could include this post (and any future restaurant-specific posts) on AllergyEats (www.allergyeats.com). We've been adding posts from a handful of other bloggers to our restaurant details pages, with all titles displaying the blogger name and all links going directly back to the blogger's own page.

Please let me know if I may link to your Chipotle post. Also, if there are others in the future, please email them to me for inclusion.

You can reach me at antico@allergyeats.com

Thanks,
Paul

Mo 'Betta said...

Just discovered your blog when searching for an egg free pumpkin bread recipe! My 2 y/o son is allergic to eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts...so baking is sometimes a challenge! Hope you'll continue to update your blog - maybe we can share recipes!

Mamma Sarah said...

WE LOVE Chipotle!!!! We always get carry out though because I'm still not comfortable with the cleanliness of the tables. I'm surprised she liked the Barbacoa! My kids love the Carnitas.