Sunday, May 31, 2009

Missing Reese's peanut butter cups? Here's your solution ...

Before Ainsley was diagnosed with allergies to (among other things) milk and peanuts, my favorite candy was, hands-down, Reese's peanut butter cups. In fact, I loved any combination of chocolate and peanut butter, including chocolate/peanut-butter fudge and ice-cream and chocolate pudding with peanut butter mixed in. Since Ainsley's diagnosis, out of "protest" (to peanuts? To food allergies? I'm not sure) I have not eaten a Reese's peanut butter cup since ... and I've missed them.

Yesterday I unexpectedly found a recipe for my new favorite candy ... homemade no-bake soy butter & chocolate bars that (if memory serves) taste nearly identical to Reese's. It was on a box of Kroger chocolate graham crackers that I recently bought. Of course, the recipe calls for peanut butter but I immediately thought about substituting soy butter. We gave it a try, and let me tell you, the entire family is in love with the result. Without further ado, I bring you my version of soy butter & chocolate heaven.

Dairy-free, peanut-free (and vegan) soy butter & chocolate candy (compare to Reese's peanut butter cups)

1/2 cup safe chocolate graham crackers or Oreos, crushed into crumbs
1/2 jar (about 7 oz) soy butter or sunbutter
6 tbsp dairy-free margarine, softened (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 lb powdered sugar
1 cup safe chocolate chips (such as Kroger's FMV brand or Enjoy Life)

To make graham cracker or Oreo crumbs, place crackers/cookies in plastic ziploc bag and crush with rolling pin. Using electric mixer, cream together soy butter/sunbutter and margarine until soft and smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and cracker/cookie crumbs. Beat until well-blended and moist. If mixture looks dry (if it looks like breadcrumbs instead of batter), add 1-2 tsp. of water to bring it together and make it smooth and creamy. Spread mixture in 9x9 pan. Melt chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave (heat for 1 min., stir, heat for 30 sec., stir, etc. until completely melted). If melted chocolate is too thick to spread easily, thin with ~1 tbsp of soy milk. Pour chocolate over soy butter/sunbutter butter mixture and spread in a layer over the mixture with a spatula or spoon. Refrigerate 3 or 4 hours or until set. Cut into small bars and refrigerate any leftovers.

* * * *
Some comments: (1) I doubt you really need to add the crushed graham cracker crumbs or Oreos, but since that's what's in the original recipe, and how I prepared it, I included it here. Also, as one reader has pointed out, you could use regular graham crackers instead of chocolate ones. (2) If you had more time, you could also shape the soy butter/sunbutter mixture into balls and coat them in the melted chocolate for a fancier look. (3) This candy would make an awesome mix-in to vanilla soy ice cream. In fact, I might finally buy an ice-cream maker just to make soy ice cream with this in it. (4) As is obvious, this is not a low-calorie treat. But my food-allergic kiddo is as skinny as a beanpole so she could use the extra fat. Now, me, on the other hand ... I have no excuse for how much of this I've eaten in the past 12 hours!

8 comments:

Food Allergy Assistant said...

Oh my gosh, can it really be true? I've got to try these. Thanks for passing this on!

JerryGilreath said...

Thanks for this!! They are so good... although for the second batch, I used regular graham crackers rather than the chocolate ones -- it didn't change the color of the soy butter mixture as much, and tasted just as great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. It's wonderful and my son can finally experience a true piece of heavenly delight. He loves being able to experiment with soy butter.

Anonymous said...

since I grew into my peanut aggergy at the lovely age of 35 and up to that point a peanut junkie, these are hands down the BEST ever treats. I think of how mush I crave the reeses cups, but no more. Thanks for this share.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to try these! I have a peanut allergy and my some has a dairy allergy. Reece's were my favorite as a kid, pre-allergy, and I've missed them. Can't wait to share this treat with my son~

Lauren Helen said...

My boyfriend is allergic to practically everything (peanuts, walnuts, shellfish, carrots, gluten...), so I've had to swear off of a few of these already, and it's been months since I've had peanut butter. I've been satisfied by sunbutter and soy butter so far, but every once in a while I get a hankering for Reese's peanut butter cups. Hey, if I manage to find gluten-free graham crackers I might even be able to give some of these to him!

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Meagan Blachly said...

I found out a 2 years ago that im deathly allergic to peanuts. Living 16 years being a peanut butter fiend I still get insane cravings for peanuts and tree nuts. By far my biggest craving is for a reeses. When I was first diagnosed I was still able to indulge every now and again, however now the very scent will on occasion send me into a reaction. Thank you so much for this recipe! I'll most definitely be trying these tonight!

Anonymous said...

I have done this using carob as a replacement for the chocolate because not only am I allergic to nuts im also allergic to chocolate. I was miserable until I found all these alternatives because I haven't always been allergic, it happened from a transfusion. So I know what im missing out on but this is a pretty close comparison.