Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Best dairy-free fudge EVER!

Just when I thought I was through with updating you on the yummy holiday goodies we've been eating, I received the most wonderful surprise from my coworker's wife, Natalie. She has first-hand experience with food allergies as her second son suffered from them when he was a baby. She gave up dairy and soy for many months while she was nursing him, and became an expert in cooking and baking dairy- and soy-free during this time. For Christmas, she gave us a batch of her to-die-for dairy-free fudge. Ainsley absolutely flipped for it, and Dave, Leighton, and I had to stop ourselves from eating all of it before Ainsley could get her fill. The best thing is it appears very easy to make! Here is the recipe:

Natalie's Dairy-Free Fudge

20 oz (2 bags) Enjoy Life chocolate chips

1 can (15 oz) Cream of Coconut (she used the Coco Lopez brand, which she found at a regular grocery store - Cream of Coconut is used to make Pina Coladas so it may be on the same aisle as the alcoholic drink mixes)

dash of salt

1 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract

Optional add-ins: 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, dried cherries or other fruit, marshmallows, etc.

Melt the chocolate chips and cream of coconut over low heat until fully melted. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Pour in a square baking tin lined with waxed paper and refrigerate until hard (about an hour). Allow to soften at room temperature for 10 min or so before pulling the sides of the waxed paper to remove the fudge from the pan in one big block. Cut into squares and store in a cookie tin or in the fridge.

* * * * * * *

One of the best things about this recipe is that it has introduced me to Cream of Coconut - I had never heard of it before! Natalie informed me that it can be substituted 1:1 for sweetened condensed milk. She has offered to use it to make her famous Key Lime Pie for our family after the new baby comes, and I am definitely taking her up on the offer!

9 comments:

Allergy Mum said...

Is Cream of Coconut the same thing as the regular canned coconut milk?
Allergy Mum Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

Leigha said...

No, it is different from both canned coconut milk and coconut cream (which is the part of the coconut milk that rises to the top in the can). Apparently, cream of coconut is thicker than coconut milk and is sweeter than coconut cream (because there is sugar added to it).

Mamma Sarah said...

OMG I emailed this to my mom (she's the fudge maker in the family) and maybe she'll try her hand at this allergy safe version for us. :-) Mmmmm. Thank you for sharing!!

Leigha said...

Now I am wondering what soybutter/sunbutter/almond butter would taste like mixed in with this ... I may have to try that combo soon!

Libby said...

I just made the fudge from My Sweet Vegan yesterday. It uses coconut milk (plus choc chips, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and flavorings) and is to die for, too. It's a good thing this is the only time of year I make it...

gastric bypass surgery Los Angeles said...

There are lot of people who are allergic to milk and they need products which do not have milk.Therefore this could be a very ideal product for consumption to them.

Annaliese Lemmon said...

Ooh, this looks good. I love fudge, but didn't think I'd be able to find something my son could eat. I will definitely have to look for that Cream of Coconut.

Juliet said...

It is hard to have food allergy and suffer from allergy symptoms. You must always be extra careful on what you eat and the place you will go. But everything has a way if you only know how.

Juliet said...

It is hard to have food allergy and suffer from allergy symptoms. You must always be extra careful on what you eat and the place you will go. But everything has a way if you only know how.