Thursday, January 29, 2009

Banana bread/muffins

I have a lot of black bananas that I need to use (I am a sucker for the big paper bags of bananas the grocery store sells for 99 cents), so today is Banana Bread Day. Here are two recipes, both given to me by fellow food allergy moms. I usually use the first one but might try the second one today (the reviews declare it to be the "best banana bread ever" ... very intriguing).

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free (Vegan) Banana Bread/Muffins

1 stick nondairy margarine (like Earth Balance or Fleischmann's unsalted)
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 tbsp applesauce (replaces 2 eggs)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp soy milk
3-4 very ripe bananas

Beat together sugar and margarine. Add other ingredients and beat some more. Pour into muffin pan/liners if making muffins. Bake at 325 for ~25 min. if making muffins, 40+ minutes if making bread. Makes 2 loaf pans, 12 muffins, or 24 mini muffins.

I have actually played around with this recipe a lot. I have tried using only 1/2 stick margarine, 1/2 cup sugar, and increasing the applesauce to 3/4 cup (to make up for the reduced sugar and margarine), and it worked well. I have also added 1/3 cup ground flaxseeds and used 1/2 whole wheat flour for added health benefit, and that tastes good too. The ground flaxseeds actually remind me of chopped nuts.

Banana Bread/Muffins -- Version 2

http://www.recipezaar.com/119255

This recipe has gotten awesome reviews online and looks to be from the same people who did Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World. The friend who gave me the recipe uses 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat flour.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I love banana bread recipes!

If you get chance take a look at my blog of banana bread recipe.

Thanks
Laura

Vivian said...

Now I want to go buy some bananas! Thanks for these recipes. I've been experimenting, but never have gotten the right texture without the eggs. This gives me hope!

Heather said...

Wow - I cannot tell you how excited I am to find your blog. I am also a mother of 2 children (Gabe 4 and Parker 2), a wife and a part time attorney. My son Parker is allergic to Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts and Sesame! What are the chances? They also go to a Jewish preschool and Challah is an issue on Fridays. I am so relieved and shocked to find someone who is literally in the same boat as me... wow. Unlike you however, I am not a big cook and have no idea what to cook so I am thrilled to get some ideas from your blog. My boys have been asking for banana bread ever since they saw it being eaten on Blue's Clues. Thank you so much!!

Leigha said...

Wow, Heather, that is insane - it's like we have the same life! If your husband is named David too then I'll really be freaked out. Seriously, though, I am so sorry you are having to deal with the same food allergies that we are, but I am glad the blog lets you know that you are not alone! Also, you should know that I was the worst cook imaginable before we discovered Ainsley's allergies. I burned Hamburger Helper and grilled cheese sandwiches! Slowly, I have become more accustomed to cooking more complicated things, but I still love a good shortcut!

sue said...

These are great!!! Thank you for a great allergy free recipe that doesn't taste grainy and dry. We used gluten free flour (Bob's red mill) and 3/4 tsp. xanthum gum to replace regular flour and it came out great!