Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Food Allergy Thanksgiving

Some people wonder how we are able to pull off a holiday like Thanksgiving -- the centerpiece of which is food -- while living with so many allergies. The truth is, it really isn't that hard. I have either found, or been able to fashion, dairy-free, egg-free, peanut/nut-free versions of almost every dish my family traditionally eats (except pecan pie!!). Here's what's on our menu for today:

--Turkey -- the problem here is that most turkeys are basted in dairy; this year my mom was able to find a frozen, precooked turkey at Sam's that did not have any dairy.
--Stuffing -- I have found several dairy-free, egg-free stuffing recipes. What's to Eat has a great recipe. Below I will add another recipe by a fellow food-allergy mom.
--Green Bean Casserole -- yes, I have found a way to make a dairy-free version of this! Instead of using Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, I use a recipe for dairy-free cream of mushroom soup in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Kid-Pleasing Recipes. Then I basically follow the recipe on the Campbell's website to make the casserole (substituting 12 ounces of my dairy-free soup for the 1 can of Campbell's soup and the 1/2 C milk called for in the recipe).
--Corn Casserole -- below I give you my corn casserole recipe, which I have adapted from my mother-in-law's recipe.
--Sweet Potatoes -- Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Kid-Pleasing Recipes has a sweet potato casserole recipe that looks really yummy. We prefer simplicity here, though -- we just bake up a few and load them up with dairy-free margarine and brown sugar.
--Rolls -- We use crescent rolls, of course!
--Desserts -- My mom and mother-in-law are making the desserts this year. Mom is making an apple pie and a blueberry crisp (see recipe in prior post) that are Ainsley-safe. My mother-in-law is making Jell-O Jigglers for her too. Both of the cookbooks I mentioned above have a ton of safe dessert recipes. Last year I made some yummy pumpkin pie bars from the Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Kid-Pleasing cookbook.

Recipes:

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Corn Casserole

2 cans (16 oz.) creamed corn
1 package (6 oz.) Jiffy corn muffin mix
Ener-G egg replacer + water mixture – enough for 2 eggs
1/2 cup dairy-free margarine (melted)

Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased, medium-sized casserole dish. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Stuffing

1 ½ boxes Jiffy cornbread
(use 1 ½ t egg replacer plus 2T water, and 1/3 cup soy milk per box)
2 slices stale milk-free bread
10 saltine crackers
1 t salt
¼ t pepper
1 ½ C milk-free chicken broth
2 ½ t sage
½ stick milk-free margarine
¾ C onion, chopped
¾ C celery, chopped
2 C rice milk or milk-free chicken broth (approximately)

Prepare cornbread per package directions. Saute onions and celery in margarine. Crumble together cornbread, bread and saltines. Add salt, pepper, sage, egg replacer mixture and chicken broth. Mix in onions and celery. Pour into a 9” x 13” Pyrex dish. Add chicken broth or rice milk until soupy. Bake 1 hour at 350.

I hope everyone has a wonderful, food-safe Thanksgiving!

No comments: