Friday, November 14, 2008

Thurs. & Fri. -- Crescent Roll Creations!

For lunch on Thurs., Ainsley had a turkey roll and some baked Lay's (plain flavor). Do you know how great Pillsbury crescent roll dough is for kids allergic to the things Ainsley is? You can do so much with them!

Turkey/Ham rolls: I buy the reduced fat crescent rolls and roll up turkey or ham in them, bake them for ~10 minutes (following package directions), and freeze them so I can pull one out at a moment's notice for lunch or dinner (reheat for 30 seconds in the microwave and it's ready). Sometimes I include vegan cheese in the roll too.

Cinnamon rolls: My mom makes cinnamon rolls with them by sprinkling cinnamon sugar on them and then rolling them up and baking them.

Pigs in blankets: For this recipe the crescent rounds (like crescent rolls, but shaped differently) work best. My mother-in-law showed me how I can wrap a Hillshire Farms "lil smokie" (small sausage) up in some of the crescent round dough (unravel a 2-3 inch strip of dough from one of the rounds and wrap it around the middle of the sausage) and bake up a huge batch for freezing. Those are delicious!

If anyone has any other crescent roll dough recipes, please let me know!

Thurs. night, Ainsley had some lunchmeat, vegan cheese, and strawberries. That did not quite fill her up, though, so she requested that Daddy pick her up another Wendy's crispy chicken sandwich on the way home.

For lunch today, Ainsley wanted the same thing as on Wed. -- chicken nuggets, fruit, and snapea crisps.

3 comments:

Bug and BooBoo's mom said...

I will have to check out crescent rolls. I just always assumed they were not dairy free. I'm so excited that they are ok!

Becky said...

So Wendy's crispy chicken sandwich is dairy free and egg free? Good to know! We really limit ourselves on eating out, but it's always good to know there are alternatives!

I'm not exactly sure how I found you, but I thought I'd introduce myself just the same. :) I'm Becky, mama to 3 boys... the youngest with a life threatening allergy to dairy and severe allergies to peanuts and eggs. Blogging has been very therapeutic for me and it's always great to meet other allergy moms. It's just so nice to know I'm not alone in this food allergy journey! :)

Anyway, so nice to meet you and thanks for the heads up on Wendy's sandwich! :)

snug said...

I make a vegan Veggie pizza using crescent rolls. Roll them out on a baking sheet, pressing seams together. Bake as directed, till lightly brown. Remove from oven, let cool. In a bowl, combine the following: 1 8oz. of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese & 1 cup Follow your Heart Pesto Vegenaise dipping sauce & spread. Blend well. Spread on top of cooled crescent crust. Add:
Chopped veggies of your choice. (i use broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers). Top with shredded cheddar rice shreds. Yummy!