Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lot a cookin' going on

Whew, I am finally putting up my feet for a bit and taking time to write down what I've been cooking up in the kitchen. Last night I made my husband's favorite dish, chicken stir-fry (see recipe below). It is SO easy to make, and quite healthy. Then, tonight, I made pepperoni pizza for Dave and me (which can easily be converted to dairy-free -- see recipe below) and Spongebob pasta for Ainsley (see "recipe" for that below too). Then Ainsley and I made Chocolate Cherry Creme cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World. All in all, a very yummy couple of days.

Chicken/Tofu Stir-Fry

1/3 head cabbage, chopped into bite-size pieces
1/2 onion, diced (optional ... if you are short on time, omit)
1/3 green pepper, diced (also optional)
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
1 bag frozen peas and carrots
2-3 chicken tenders or 1-2 chicken breasts OR 1 package extra firm tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces (if short on time, use the tofu instead of the chicken because you don't have to brown it in advance)
minute rice (I always use brown rice)

Heat 1-2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet, saute pan, or wok. Brown chicken in pan or, if using tofu, saute tofu in the pan for a few minutes. Then throw in the rest of the vegetables. Cover and let simmer on medium heat for approximately 15 minutes (you'll know it's done when the broccoli is easy to cut in half with a spatula). Mix vegetables and the meat or tofu around every few minutes while cooking.

After the broccoli is tender, remove pan from heat and serve over rice with soy sauce or safe teriyaki sauce (I prefer to put a LOT of soy sauce in mine, as I love soy sauce, but I don't put that much in my four-year-old's bowl).

Makes enough for 3-4 people.

Easy Dairy-Free Pizza

1 can Pillsbury pizza dough
slices of Tofutti or Vegan brand mozzarella cheese
pizza sauce (I like Muir Glen, available at Whole Foods) or a can of tomato paste mixed with some olive oil, basil, and garlic powder
toppings: safe pepperoni, canadian bacon, ham, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, broccoli, spinach, etc.

Prepare pizza as directed on the pizza dough package. Can cut pizza dough in half (or whatever partitioning you want) and put on two separate cookie sheets so that you can prepare one part with real cheese (for those in the family not allergic to dairy) and part with the imitation cheese.

Spongebob/Scooby Doo/Dora/Spiderman/etc. Pasta

1 package Kraft macaroni & cheese with the pasta shape of your choice (Spongebob, etc.)
1 cup soy milk
1 cup water
1 chicken bouillion cube
1 tbsp margarine

Open box of pasta. Throw away cheese packet. Put pasta in a boiler with the remaining ingredients. Stir continually until the pasta is soft and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and enjoy.

The sauce is basically the sauce used in the Creamy Noodles in the Kid-Pleasing cookbook. The noodles can be any dairy- and egg-free noodles. I got the idea to use Kraft character-shaped noodles because my four-year-old has asked for them a few times in the store. She has always been disappointed when I say I can't buy the package because it's macaroni and cheese. I looked at the ingredient list and saw that the noodles themselves are dairy- and egg-free -- it's just the sauce mix that contains milk (please always check to make sure this is true before buying your own macaroni and cheese box). So I told her we could buy a box and use the noodles. She was ecstatic. When we got the box home, I checked to make sure there was no cheese sauce powder on the dry noodles (there wasn't, but it's a good idea to always check for that). I cooked them in the way described above, and voila ... an instant hit.

2 comments:

Mandy V said...

What is a boiler? Should I just boil the water, milk and margerine, and then add the bouillon cube and pasta till tender? Can you please clarify. Thank you. PS Love your recipe ideas!!!!

Leigha said...

I'm sorry, Mandy - by "boiler" I just meant a pot that you can boil things in. I am certainly not an expert cook so it would be beyond my expertise to try to use fancy kitchen things - I just have basic pots and pans.