Friday, June 5, 2009

Medic Alert deal

Today I enrolled Ainsley in the Medic Alert system. I had been meaning to do this for a while but our recent ambulance incident finally spurred me to action. In case you don't know, Medic Alert is a system that provides a bracelet or other piece of jewelry with a special medical symbol printed on one side that alerts medical personnel to the fact that the wearer has a health condition. The other side of the tag lists information about the health condition and a number to call for more information. The company was started by a man whose child had a serious allergic reaction, so the program is tailor-made for food-allergic families.

When I called to enroll Ainsley, I was happy to learn that Medic Alert just started a KidSmart program for children that is a reduced-price program and contains certain kid-specific features. In total, I paid about $35 for the enrollment fee and bracelet and will need to pay only $10 per year to continue the membership until Ainsley turns 18 (the price will increase then). Additionally, I am also enrolling my dad (who has Type I diabetes) and he will get a discount on his membership and Ainsley will get a $25 credit for "referring" him. What a deal!

No comments: