Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I've created a hypochondriac

I don't know if it was the recent yogurt/epi-pen incident or that Ainsley just attended food allergy camp for a week, or both, but in the last several days she's gotten really scared over small things and it's been pretty difficult to calm her down. It started with frequent complaints, after eating foods that have never before produced a reaction, that her throat itched. At first I would give her Benadryl, but after she started complaining about this every night I finally stopped and adopted a "wait-and-see" approach (if the throat itching didn't get any worse and there were no other symptoms, I didn't give her Benadryl). She also (rather comically) asked for Benadryl once after my mom sneezed near her, because she worried about the germs my mom could have transmitted.

Then she started worrying whenever she ate something after playing outside without washing her hands. She worried both about the possibility that she could have ingested a small bit of an allergen and that she was eating germs. One time, she got scared after she broke a stick in half and then stuck one of her fingers in her mouth because the stick had hurt it. She was afraid that something on the stick had gotten onto her finger and then into her mouth and would hurt her.

This morning was the worst - she ate a piece of toast and then refused to swallow it because she was afraid her hands weren't clean when she was eating it. I tried unsuccessfully to get her to swallow it and finally made her spit it out in the toilet.

I have no idea what I can do to ratchet down this newfound anxiety of hers. I'm not sure if it's some sort of developmental stage or whether it's because of recent events.

1 comment:

allergist said...

Maybe next time we need to be aware of the food we ate.

-Kaylee