Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hooray for Halloween lollipops!

I am glad to say that over the years I've found a wide array of Halloween candy that Ainsley can have, including Dum Dums, Smarties, Sweetarts, Twizzlers, Starburst, Laffy Taffy, Mike & Ike, Dots, and Act II Popcorn Balls, just to name a few. The one thing missing from this list, you might notice, is any chocolate candy ... which is my favorite type of Halloween candy.

In the past, I've spent a fortune buying safe chocolate from places such as Amanda's Own, but in the past year I've begun making my own because it is so much cheaper and is very fun and easy. As I did with our Easter chocolates, for Halloween I bought a couple of candy molds (you can get them online from a place like this or from a craft store like Michael's or Jo-Ann's) and a bag of safe chocolate chips (normally I use Enjoy Life, but this time I went cheap-o and used Kroger Value chocolate chips, which contain soy but none of Ainsley's allergens). The molds I got were for lollipops, so I also purchased a bag of lollipop sticks. Total cost of this endeavor was about $5, and it made about 20 pops. Not bad!

I made the pops in the same way that I made the Easter candy - by pouring the chips into a glass bowl and microwaving them for 1 minute, then stirring, then microwaving and stirring for 30-second increments until the chocolate was melted and smooth. I then spooned the chocolate into the molds, tapped the molds lightly on the counter to get the air bubbles out, and stuck in the lollipop sticks. I refrigerated the molds for about an hour and then pulled the pops out of the molds and put them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator to store (you can also wrap the individual pops in small strips of saran wrap or press & seal before putting them in the bag - this might protect them a bit more).

Here are pics of the lollipops, of Leighton's face after eating one, and of us at a pumpkin patch this morning. I love this time of year!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look amazing, and sound so easy! I might have to try that some day! Elena

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled on your blog while looking for something today. I think the thing that caught my eye was your daughter’s name. I have an Ainsley too! My Ainsley is three she is my third child and the only one in the family with any kinds of allergies. The other similar part is our girls have pretty much identical allergies. I do not nearly enough time today to enjoy your old posts. I look forward to reading them soon. Thanks for sharing. Have a Safe and Happy Hallowen
Shannon

Leigha said...

Shannon, that is so funny! I know a third Ainsley who also has food allergies - only to nuts, though. Welcome and I hope my posts can help you in some way (or at least remind you that others are in your situation!).

Leigha