Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I don't feel so bad about Ainsley not being able to eat school lunches ...

I know it's been a long time since I've posted. I was busy at work, then with Thanksgiving, and most importantly, with planning and going on our huge Disney trip, which we took last week. It was WONDERFUL, and I am currently working on a long post that describes our adventure, complete with pictures.

But for now, I wanted to post this disturbing news blip that I read this morning. It is an article that says the meat served at fast-food chains is from better-quality animals, and is the result of far higher testing standards, than the meat served in public schools. This makes me feel a little better about the fact that Ainsley won't be able to eat school lunches next year in kindergarten, and relieves some of my parental guilt about allowing her to eat about once a week at McDonald's and Wendy's (pretty much the only two restaurants I allow her to eat at, because their limited selection and use of dairy-free buns means it's a safe alternative to my cooking).

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Do you feel safe eating at Wendy's and McDonald's with peanut/nut allergies?

Leigha said...

Yes, I do. I know there are nut products around the ice cream area, and thus the possibility of cross-contamination is there, but from my understanding there are workers specifically assigned to making hamburgers and sandwiches and they don't appear to go over toward the ice cream area. That, coupled with the fact that Ainsley has eaten their sandwiches many times and has never had a problem, has allowed me to feel comfortable having her eat there.

Henrique Abrantes said...

Olá tudo bem? Eu tenho interesse em colocar um banner no seu blog.
Na verdade seria uma troca você colocaria um abnner no meu blog e vice versa entre em contato comigo:
E-mail: has.25@hotmail.com
Blog: http://has02.blogspot.com

Paul said...

I don't know how else to contact you, but I really thought you'd be interested in learning about my new website, AllergyEats (www.allergyeats.com). It relates to restaurants, so I thought I'd intro it to you at the end of this entry.

AllergyEats was 20 months in the making and lists over 600,000 restaurants that can be searched geographically and are sorted based on the restaurant’s level of “allergy friendliness.” This rating is derived from fellow food allergy and intolerant diners who choose to rate the restaurants by answering 3 simple questions. Diners also have the opportunity to add comments to their quantitative ratings as well.

As a standalone restaurant database, AllergyEats is a useful tool for locating places to dine. In addition, however, I have included features such as allergen information, gluten-free menus, industry certifications, and other relevant information where available. The site will grow in value for those with food allergies or intolerances as more restaurants are rated and comments posted.

Please take a look at the site (www.allergyeats.com) and, if you like what you see, I would appreciate a mention and/or link on your blog and any other help in communicating this site to others. The more people who use AllergyEats, the more valuable it is for all of us! I will of course be happy to reciprocate any help you’re willing to give via the AllergyEats Blog, main site, or social networks as well. Also, I would love to reprint relevant articles, if you wish.

If you’d like to contact me, I can be reached at antico@allergyeats.com. If you’d like to see the launch press release, it can be found at www.allergyeats.com/blog/?p=146. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Paul Antico
AllergyEats