Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hankering for peppermint hot chocolate

One of my favorite food things the past two holiday seasons has been Westsoy's Chocolate Peppermint Stick beverage, which I discovered last year among the other shelf-stable soymilk cartons at Whole Foods. Before that I spent way too much money on peppermint hot chocolate at Starbucks, so I was so happy to discover a cheaper - but incredibly tasty - replacement. This year, Ainsley got addicted to it too, so we doubled our purchases from last year. Well, all good things must come to an end - we went to Whole Foods yesterday and, alas, it was no longer there. But thanks to my recent purchase of peppermint extract for a recipe I have yet to try, I decided to concoct my own, which Ainsley declared to be "just as good as the kind we get at the store!" Here's the "recipe":

-Start with 1 mug of soymilk (plain or vanilla).
-Mix in enough liquid chocolate Nestle Quick or Hershey's syrup (both are free of Ainsley's allergens!) to make the milk very brown ("hot chocolate brown").
-Add 2 drops peppermint extract.
-Microwave for 1 min. to 1 min. 30 sec. (I microwave Ainsley's for just a minute because I don't want it very hot for her).
-Add safe marshmallows (like Kraft Jet-Puffed) if desired.

3 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Here's a good homemade mix recipe:
http://doghillkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/01/candy-cane-cocoa.html

delrond said...

Hi

I noticed that you write a lot about allergies and thought you might find this article interesting: 10 Allergies Your Unlikely To Have Heard Of = http://air-purifier-reviewsite.com/blog/10-allergies-your-unlikely-to-have-heard-of/

If you notice any errors or would like to add anything you think i have missed then please feel free to tell me via email. I will of course credit you with any changes that i make.

Thanks

Danny

Jennifer B said...

Yum! I love hot chocolate!

Please consider submitting this post (or one of your favorites) to the Living with Food Allergies Blog Carnival. Also, let me know if you'd like to host it here sometime!

Jennifer B