Saturday, February 6, 2010

Super yummy, healthy smoothie

My husband is on a health kick. He resolved to be more active this year, so he's been working out with the Wii we got for Christmas. He has also been eating much better. One of the things that he most needed to revamp was his breakfast routine. He used to skip breakfast entirely or grab a bagel or McDonald's on the way to work. Now I make a batch of (Ainsley-safe!) healthy muffins every couple of weeks and he eats those for breakfast. He has also become our Smoothie King - I showed him how to use our new food processor and he has really taken to it! Normally he is very uncomfortable trying to cook anything but apparently if it involves a loud, pulverizing appliance he's right at home. Every morning he gets up and makes enough for all of us, and we drink every drop.

Dave's Yummy, Healthy Smoothie Recipe

1 C orange juice

1 C So Delicious strawberry coconut-milk Kefir (can substitute vanilla or plain Kefir or strawberry, blueberry, vanilla, or plain soy yogurt)

2/3 C frozen strawberries

2/3 C frozen blueberries

1/2 C or 1 individual-sized container no-sugar-added applesauce

1 Tbsp honey

1 Tbsp ground flax seed

1-2 bananas

Put all ingredients into blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Makes 4-6 servings.

6 comments:

Christie said...

I never would have thought of putting applesauce together with orange juice in a smoothie! But I love So Delicious coconut milk kefir and I sometimes blend it with bananas and frozen berries. This is going to be very interesting!

Anonymous said...

I've tried to make smoothies before, but I could never get the right combination. May I ask what brand of flax seed you buy? I've been trying to buy this, but the packages I've found have a "processed in a facility with treenuts or peanuts??

Thanks,
Linda

Leigha said...

Christie, I would never have combined applesauce and OJ either, but leave it to my adventurous husband to try it one morning ... and it's REALLY yummy.

Linda, I use Bob's Red Mill "organic whole ground flaxseed meal." Some of Bob's has a nut warning on it but not this one (at least, not my package - that's why I bought this particular kind).

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'll check this out. My daughter is somewhat of a picky eater, so I am always looking for ways to add healthy ingredients.

Thanks,
Linda

smilinggreenmom said...

Isn't is so awesome when your husband is so excited about living healthy and nutritious? I love it for sure! Our family has been through so much withour little boy's food allergies and severe Eczema. He was helped so much though thankfully, by taking his children's probiotic from Vidazorb. It was awful and nothing was helping him until this. I really believe it was a miracle for him. We do still avoid some foods but nothing like before - anyway, our whole family has such a new feeling about foods and toxins in our home and how it affects us. I am so glad I found your blog! Mine is smilinggreenmom.com on natural, green and allergy free living if you ever want to visit :)

Amelia613 said...

Last Easter you posted about making chocolates for your daughter with chocolate chips and holiday molds. I commented on it and remembered it; so this year for Purim I got some Grogger shaped molds and made some chocolates for my son. It was so easy and he was so happy that he'll have safe chocolate to trade in for any of the non-safe treats he gets. I'm going to buy more molds for the other holidays, but had to thank you for the wonderful idea!