Monday, June 28, 2010

She can eat shrimp!

I have been forced to take a hiatus from the blog because I've been under the weather for several weeks and my dad has also been having health issues - in fact, he will be having major heart surgery this Friday. But I did want to let you all know about an exciting development that I have mentally filed away in the "See, Ainsley isn't allergic to everything!" folder.

Last night we went to my in-laws' house for dinner and they decided to grill shrimp. I had never given Ainsley shrimp even though (based on her skin and blood tests) her allergist said he didn't think she was allergic to it. The biggest reason I avoided it was that, when we did the skin test for it a long time ago, she had a tiny hive to it, and even though her blood test showed no allergic reaction, I was scared to have her try it because shellfish are a common cause of deadly reactions. It has taken me years to get to the point when I was ready to have her try any shellfish.

I decided that last night was THE NIGHT. To see if she could tolerate it, I first rubbed a piece of shrimp on her arm to see if it caused a skin reaction. After we waited 20 minutes and there was no reaction, I let her eat a microscopically small piece of it. After another 20 minutes of no reaction, she ate an eraser-tip's worth of it. After another 20 minutes of no reaction, I let her eat a whole shrimp.

She loved it! She will be eating more for dinner tonight. I am very excited to add this food to our repertoire and we can tell she is happy to be able to eat something different.

Honestly, the biggest part of the experience for me was just confirming that, although she is allergic to several things, she isn't allergic to every major allergen. Now I'm going to make her eat shrimp on a regular basis so hopefully she'll never develop an allergy to it.

2 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather and will certainly keep your dad in prayer on Friday!!!

Hooray!!!!! for not being allergic to shellfish!!! Oh the possibilities. :-)

Food Allergy Assistant said...

Thanks for sharing the shrimp story. I jut discussed this with our allergist after recent blood work showed my son tested negative for shrimp. The allergist said to go ahead and give him shrimp. I'm nervous, though, and have been putting it off. I considered parking outside the ER of our hospital to feed him shrimp.

I like your cautious approach better. We'll try it.

Good thoughts your way for your health and your dad's recovery from surgery.