Wednesday, July 14, 2010

She can eat almonds! And (some) Chick-Fil-A!

My dad is doing well and is almost out of the hospital, so my attention has turned to other things - including Ainsley's annual allergist appt., which was yesterday. She had blood drawn, of course, and we won't get the results on that until next week. But we have already been able to introduce a couple of new things into her diet. During her appt., the doctor suggested that I take her to Chick-Fil-A for the first time and give her some waffle fries. He emphasized that almost all of his peanut-allergic patients have no problem at all with the kind of peanut oil Chick-Fil-A uses so she should be fine, and it would open up another restaurant to us. I took her there and ordered a kids' meal with waffle fries and the "grilled chicken nuggets" - an off-menu item I had heard that they make for kids allergic to the egg, milk, and/or wheat in the batter used on their regular nuggets.

She had no reaction either to the nuggets (which tasted great!) or the waffle fries, so we can now add Chick-Fil-A into our rotation of Ainsley-approved restaurants (already on the list are McD's, Burger King, and Wendy's).

The doctor also emphasized that I should try Ainsley on almonds. He said that her number to almonds was so low last year that he was sure she wouldn't have a reaction. He offered that if I was really concerned about an allergic reaction, I could give her some almond milk in the lobby of his office.

You might recall that I chickened out on giving her almond milk to drink last year after I put some on her arm and it caused her skin to itch and look a little irritated. I told him about this and he reminded me that some things can cause a very mild skin reaction even if the child actually isn't allergic to them.

So I took the plunge and bought some Silk almond milk at the store and gave her a drop right before we drove home, thinking that if she showed the slightest reaction I could head to the doctor's office instead of my house since the office is very close to where I live (and, of course, I carry her medicine pack with us everywhere so also had an Epi-Pen on hand in case of emergency).

Thankfully, she had no reaction and loved the taste of the almond milk, so I gave her more when we got home.

I am quite excited about this and am all ready to order Barney Butter for us to use at the house. I have also had fun thinking of all the yummy baked goods I can make with it.

I am undecided as to whether I'll give her whole almonds yet. My concern is that I can't imagine I'll be able to find any that are processed in an otherwise nut-free facility. I thought about washing them first to remove residue that might have gotten on them during processing. Opinions? I will ask the allergist about this when I talk to him next week.

No comments: