Friday, March 25, 2011

Letting go a little

Today is a momentous occasion for Ainsley - the first time I've allowed her to buy a food item from the school cafeteria.  I never thought this would happen, but thanks to the encouragement of her teacher, whom I trust very much, we are giving it a go. 

It all started a few weeks ago when Ainsley won a "good spirit" award for her class.  As a reward, she (like every other kid who wins it) got a token for a free ice cream at lunchtime (every Friday the cafeteria serves ice cream).  Her teacher called me that morning and asked if it would be okay if Ainsley cashed in her token for a popsicle, because the cafeteria had one kind of popsicle that had no milk or other allergens in it, and another child at the school who was also milk-allergic had previously had one with no problem.  I took a deep breath and said "Yes," both nervous about what could happen and excited that Ainsley would get to try something new. 

Thankfully, she had no reaction to the popsicle, and loved being able to eat it while her friends ate ice cream.  So the teacher suggested that I allow her to buy one every Friday (have I mentioned yet how much I love her teacher?  She truly cares about Ainsley).  Today is the first day we've done it.  I sent a dollar in her lunch bag and emailed the teacher to ask her to make sure Ainsley got the right popsicle and knew how to pay for it.   Lunchtime is almost over now, and I've gotten no phone calls, so I am assuming everything went fine.  I am so happy she's able to participate in the normal lunchtime routine in this small way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so great, she must be happy. I've found that dealing with allergies has alot to do with trust, do I trust the labeling of that product, do I trust that the restaurant will prevent cross contamination. Recently my daughters teacher volunteered to make cupcakes for the last two parties at school. She said to me you tell me exactly what to get and I will. I trusted her and let my daughter eat her cupcakes. She was so happy to be having the same as everyone else. Recently, her CCD teacher also did this. I trust both of them and let them know how much I appreciate this.

Linda
DD with PN & TN allergy

Allergy Mum said...

That is amazing. I started to cry while reading your post. This is such a HUGE thing to have had happen. She must have been in heaven to have a special treat like her classmate get. Wonderful wonderful news.
Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

..... said...

Hyee, its allergic week going on and I have something very interesting to tell you....Allergy-free for Me cookbook! Have you heard about this compelling iPhone app? Founder Rupa Tak was featured on WFRV News. This unique and impressive mobile app is all about a cookbook that lets you easily find foods and prepare meals that are safe and healthy to eat for kids who are prone to food allergies.
http://www.wfrv.com/news/online-with-erin/Allergy-Free-for-Me-App-5122011-121778159.html

Sarah Lynton said...

That's so cool, for both of you. I bet it was the best popsicle ever. A big step but a very important one.