Monday, March 23, 2009

Arghhh - ingredient changes in the brands we use

So the big event lately has been that Leighton turned 1! I will post about that soon, after I have a chance to upload some pics from her birthday party.

In other news, yesterday I went grocery shopping and was shocked to find that the Sara Lee bread I usually buy now has milk in it. I am really glad I read the ingredient label before throwing it in my cart. I was so mad. Last summer, Sara Lee started putting milk in its hot dog buns. That was the only brand that my grocery store carried that was milk-free. So we resorted to Sara Lee deli rolls, which are like hot dog buns but the top and the bottom are in two separate pieces (not connected) - the fact that the pieces are separate makes it really difficult to eat a hot dog in them, but we make due.

Now I find that Sara Lee has started putting milk in the regular bread that I buy. I checked and I couldn't find any Sara Lee loaves that didn't contain milk. After looking at other brands, I finally found one - Earthgrains - that only contained soy and wheat. It did not have a "May contain nuts" or similar warning so I bought it. Ainsley had a piece this morning and did fine, but I hate having to switch brands. We food allergy families become so dependent on certain brands that when this type of thing happens, it is really unnerving. Lately I have been baking a lot of bread so one day I might just stop buying bread altogether and just make all the bread that we eat (I guess I could even figure out how to make hot dog buns). It tastes better, that's for sure.

6 comments:

Laura deNoyelles said...

Leigha,

My name is Laura deNoyelles and I live in Wichita, KS. I am having the same problem as you, so when I googled Sara Lee and food allergy your blog came up. When I called Sara Lee about it today the person I talked to said that they hadn't made any changes. I have searched all over Wichita and can't find our bread. We unfortunately fed our daughter, Sara, the wrong bread and it made her sick. We were in Florida last week when this change seems to have occured and my husband went shopping for the bread and I just assumed it was right. I guess at this point we can say we've done a recent food challenge! This is the first reaction she's had to a product with milk in years. I will keep an eye on your blog to see if you find out anything else. I also plan to complain to Sara Lee and ask everyone I know to do the same. I will probably wait a few days to see if maybe they are just out of it in our area, because I can't find the exact bread we were eating before, the ones I find say classic. Good luck to you. Laura P.S.- I also have an Ainsley- she is my one of three who doesn't have food allergies!

Leigha said...

Thanks so much for letting me know, Laura! I am ticked because I remember getting a food allergy advisory from FAAN when Sara Lee started adding milk to its hot dog buns, but I have gotten no advisory this time. I am so sorry your daughter had a reaction. I will definitely complain to Sara Lee about this - re-adding milk to all of its bread will cause a large block of consumers (those with milk allergies and also vegans) to stop buying from it ... why would the company want that?

Amelia said...

My son is also allergic to milk (amongst other things). We buy Arnold's bread - no milk, no eggs. Maybe you can get your local store to carry this brand?

Leigha said...

Thanks, Amelia - I will look into it!

Carla said...

I live on the East Coast so we have Stop & Shop and Shaws - I have found that typically the "store brand" does not contain milk. It's not as "all natural" but is at least safe for my milk, egg, peanut/treenut allergic son! Maybe the store brands in your area are an option?

E-Dawg said...

Noooooooooooooooooo. That is our bread. So, so, so disappointing. Thanks for this post.