Sunday, February 15, 2009

Be Mine, Valentine cookies

Since it was Valentine's Day yesterday, Ainsley insisted we make heart cookies. So I took the opportunity to use my new cookie press for the first time - it has a disk that makes little heart-shaped cookies. Now, a few months ago, I had no idea what a cookie press was. When I first heard the term, I thought it must look something like a printing press, except that it made sheets of cookies instead of printed paper. But then I looked it up online and saw it was really a pretty simple device, and one that would be good to have given my newfound love of baking. My mom-in-law was happy to get me one for Christmas. Still, I was a little hesitant to break it out (I am averse to learning new things ... see prior post on how long it took me to learn how to upload pics from my new camera to my new computer). Ainsley's insistence yesterday was the push I needed to try it. Although, at first, the press was somewhat confusing to use, I found that, after a couple of minutes of practice, I had it down.

For the dough, I used the Spritz Cookie recipe from What's to Eat. After baking, I let the cookies cool for a few minutes and then melted some chocolate chips and a little bit of shortening in the microwave, put the melted mixture in a small plastic bag, cut the tiniest of holes in one of the corners of the bag, and drizzled chocolate on the cookies (with some of the cookies I also drew little chocolate hearts). Then we poured sprinkles on all of them. I think they came out really well. The recipe made so many (about 70 cookies) that, after the chocolate set, we put most of them into treat bags and delivered the bags to our neighbors.
Close-up of the cookies right after they were "pressed."

Cookies after baking.

Cookies with heart-shaped chocolate drizzles.

Cookies with regular drizzles.

1 comment:

Jennifer B said...

Nice job! They look great!