Thursday, February 26, 2009

In honor of my dad: dairy-free, egg-free, sugar-free birthday cupcakes

Today is my dad's birthday. For the past two years, I have made him cupcakes on his birthday. The only issue with that is that my dad is a Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetic, and has been most of his life. That means he cannot have baked goods that contain a lot of sugar. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a problem, because recipes for diabetic desserts abound. However, as you might guess, there aren't a whole lot of diabetic desserts also made to be consumed by someone allergic to eggs and milk, and I wasn't going to make cupcakes that Ainsley couldn't eat too.

So I made up my own recipe. It wasn't hard - the only thing I did was substitute Splenda for sugar in my usual egg-free, dairy-free cake recipe, which I got from another food allergy mom. And you know what? It tastes AWESOME. No kidding - it really does. You can hardly tell that it does not contain eggs, milk, or sugar. Not only that, it's a pretty easy recipe. I don't even make my own icing - I rely on Pillsbury Reduced Sugar frosting (it is sweetened with sugar and with Splenda; my dad can have a little sugar so that icing works for him). Here is my recipe - I hope it helps anyone else out there who is struggling with all of these food restrictions.

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Sugar-Free Cupcakes (makes 1 dozen cupcakes)

1 3/4 C flour
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 C dairy-free margarine, room temp
1 C Spenda granulated
3 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer + 3 Tbsp canola/vegetable oil + 3 Tbsp water, mixed together
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients and beat until light and fluffy. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Note: these cupcakes are more fragile than normal ones, so do not frost until they are cool and be very gentle when frosting. Also, they do not to stick as well as normal cupcakes to the cupcake wrappers, especially the gold/silver foil ones.

As previously mentioned, for icing, you might try Pillsbury Reduced Sugar frosting in vanilla or chocolate (we especially love the chocolate flavor). The only allergen it contains is soy.

Happy Birthday Dad!

1 comment:

Karen said...

How nice to be able to share!