Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas cookies

From apocalypse to Christmas cookies ... Yesterday Ainsley and I made Christmas cut-out cookies in preparation for a children's party we were going to where the kids decorate cookies. Having been to this party for the past couple of years, I knew most of the decorations (sprinkles and such) would be safe for her, but, of course, the cookies wouldn't, so we made our own. I made cut-out cookies last year using a recipe given me by one of my fellow food allergy moms. It works great and produces very yummy, cute cookies. This time, though, I tried a different recipe, found in What's to Eat? The Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Food Allergy Cookbook. I was apprehensive about trying this recipe because it used 1/4 cup of brown sugar and because it called for 1/4 cup of orange juice. I was afraid the cookies would be brown and taste like orange. Neither happened, and they turned out wonderfully! The usual problem with egg-free cut-out cookie recipes is that the dough is crumbly and requires at least an hour of refrigeration before it can be rolled out to be cut into shapes. The dough from the What's to Eat recipe was not crumbly at all, however -- it must be the orange juice! I didn't have to refrigerate it and it was very malleable. The only thing I would change is that I think it needed slightly more flour than the 2 cups called for by the recipe -- I added more flour as I made more cookies and the later cookies turned out better than the earlier ones.

3 comments:

Sophia Jason said...

Food allergy is not common but can be serious. Every day regular people put themselves in danger by eating certain types of food without realizing that they may be poisoning themselves. There are numerous negative symptoms associated with food allergies that may cause a lot of stress or pain on the people affected. When a food allergy is suspected, a medical evaluation is the key to proper management. Visit here to know http://www.obesityweightlosssurgery.com/doctor_index_5759.html
Thanks for the wonderful recipe

Mamma Sarah said...

Those cookies sound oh so tasty. How can I get my hands on that cookbook?

Linda Coss said...

I'm glad your cookies turned out.

I did a lot of experimenting to come up with that recipe. I suspect you needed more flour because your margarine had a higher water content than mine. I think it's the brown sugar that somehow makes the dough less crumbly, but I'm just guessing!

Your readers can find my book at my website, www.FoodAllergyBooks.com. Right now I'm running a "free priority mail shipping" holiday special -- no coupons or minimum order required.