Monday, December 29, 2008

Long time no write

I am sorry I haven't posted in a while .... It was pretty overwhelming leaving the hospital and coming home just days before Christmas, and having to get all of the Christmas presents together for everyone. We are finally settling back into normality. Leighton is doing great. She's about 99% well now. She has an occasional bad coughing fit (she's still coughing that stuff out of her lungs), but hasn't run a fever in well over a week. I took her back to the pediatrician Saturday for a checkup and her chest sounded good and ears were healing well.

As for Christmas, we had a wonderful day. Ainsley got lots of things she wanted from Santa, including Tinkerbell and her fairy friend, Fawn, and a Barbie Mermaid and Puppet Playhouse. Of course, her favorite present of the day was the baby My Little Pony my mom-in-law gave her that had come from a Happy Meal!

Leighton got some fun stuff too -- cute clothes (you can never have enough baby girl clothes!) and lots of new baby toys so she won't have to keep playing with her sister's hand-me-downs.

On the food allergy front, we had another virtually allergen-free holiday meal. I made green bean casserole again, and we had turkey, ham, dressing (from the recipe I posted previously), and baked sweet potatoes. My mother-in-law also made safe sweet potato casserole using this recipe. My mom made Ainsley blueberry pie and my mom-in-law made her Jello jigglers for dessert. I am not sure what blueberry pie recipe my mom used, but this one looks really yummy (substitute soy margarine for the butter, of course).

Luckily, when it comes to pies, a lot of pie crusts are dairy- and egg-free (you can also make your own, but I really hate doing that -- for some reason I find it a real pain). I recently found a safe whole wheat pie crust at Whole Foods, and there are also some at most regular supermarkets. Just yesterday I saw a graham cracker pie crust and chocolate graham cracker crust (can't remember the manufacturer -- Keebler? Or maybe Pillsbury?) that only contained the allergens soy and wheat.

In other words, I have no excuse not to make more pies!

No comments: