Monday, November 3, 2008

Why I created this blog

I got the idea from a friend's blog that lists the healthy meals she and her kids eat every day. I thought, "Man, I would like to see a blog where someone who lives with the food allergies we do describes what their meals are like." Well, taking to heart Gandhi's famous phrase, "You must be the change you want to see in the world," I decided to start such a blog and hope that others do the same. I get so many food-preparation ideas from other food-allergy moms, and hope that I can help in the same way by describing what we (and especially what my food-allergic daughter Ains) eat each day. Perhaps it will even inspire a few non-food-allergic people out there to open up their food horizons.

So about this blog: My older daughter, Ainsley, suffers from life-threatening allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts, and most tree nuts, and less severe allergies to sesame and coconut. When I tell people about Ainsley's allergies, the most common question I get is, "What do you feed her?" The purpose of the blog is to tell everyone exactly that. It's going to start by simply describing what we eat each day. Unless otherwise noted, everything I list is safe for Ainsley. Hopefully I'll also have time to add other fun things, like Ainsley's (and soon Leighton's) memorable phrases, recent family outings, etc. I have done a terrible job of scrapbooking my kids' early months/years, so I'm hoping I can do so a little bit through this blog. My overall goal is to show other families with food allergies that you can still have a fun, fulfilling family life despite having to operate under certain food limitations.

No comments: